On Friday, April 15 at approximately 1940 hours, the Essex Junction Fire Department, Essex Town Fire Department and Essex Rescue were dispatched to respond to 8 Railroad Street in the Village of Essex Junction for the report of a house on fire.
Essex Town Fire Engine 2 was returning from a fire alarm off Essex Way and began their response immediately. EJFD immediately requested mutual aid assistance from Saint Michaels College Fire and Williston Fire. EJFD Chief Gaboriault happened to be at the firehouse at the time of dispatch and arrived on the scene within two minutes of dispatch, finding smoke showing from a multi family dwelling.
Essex Town Fire Engine 2 arrived on the scene and established a water supply by connecting to a hydrant while also pulling an attack line to the front door of the involved apartment. Ladder 3 responded and arrived approximately two minutes after EFD Engine 2, proceeding into the building with EFD personnel to begin fire attack. Once inside the building, crews found moderate smoke and a fire on the stove which appeared to have extended into the wall. At this time fire could be seen venting from the gable end vent on the side of the building, just above the kitchen area. Interior personnel worked to pull down ceiling and attack the fire while next arriving companies were sent to the roof to conduct vertical ventilation. Personnel found a well involved attic fire which was extinguished quickly. The fire was extinguished within approximately 15 minutes of arrival.
Personnel then continued to operate on scene, working to overhaul the fire area and extinguish hot spots. Overhaul efforts were hampered by ceiling construction which was ship lap board as well as plaster and lathe, while vertical ventilation efforts were hampered by the presence of multiple roofs on top of one another.
Personnel operated on the scene for over two hours before turning the building over to the building owner. The fire was believed to be accidental in nature.
EJFD would like to thank Essex Town Fire, Essex Rescue, Williston Fire and Saint Michael's College Fire for assisting us on the scene with manpower.