On Saturday, June 25 at approximately 2042, the Essex Junction Fire Department, Essex Fire Department and Essex Rescue were dispatched to respond to 4 Fuller Place in the Village of Essex Junction for a report of black smoke coming from a building with fire alarms sounding.
Mutual aid was immediately requested in the form of a ladder from Williston Fire and an engine from Saint Michael's College Fire. En-route, an update was provided that there would possibly be two elderly occupants trapped in the unit unable to evacuate.
Ladder 3 responded and arrived on the scene to find a three story townhouse structure with nothing evident from two sides of the structure. Ladder 3 laid in from the closest hydrant (approximately 300 feet) and stretched an attack line to the unit where the fire was reported. The officer from Ladder 3 breached the front door to the apartment and encountered significant smoke conditions along with sprinkler flow inside the unit. As this occurred, Car 9 arrived on the scene with Chief Gaboriault establishing command. The officer from Ladder 3 relayed to command that this was a confirmed structure fire and Ladder 3 crew would be making entry as fire attack.
Ladder 3 personnel conducted a primary search of the apartment while also searching for the fire. It was determined all occupants had been evacuated prior to fire department arrival. Personnel located a fire involving a small bookshelf, books and extending into the wall behind. The fire was being held in check by the sprinkler system. The remaining fire was quickly knocked down by Ladder 3 personnel. As this was occurring, Essex Fire personnel arrived on the scene and a second attack line was stretched to the front door. Ladder 3 personnel transitioned to overhaul, opening up the wall where the fire was located. Minor extension was found.
Williston Fire and Saint Michael's College Fire then arrived on the scene and were put to work conducting salvage as well as mechanical ventilation of the apartment.
All companies operated on the scene for approximately two hours before the scene was turned back over to property management. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical in nature and is not considered suspicious.